Thursday, May 28, 2015

Take it Outside: Summer Sensory Play

 "Never be indoors when you can rightly be without." ~Charlotte Mason

Nothing casts pure joy on the face of my toddler like a deliciously squishy mud puddle. I do lots of sensory play inside in winter, but I like to move outside to make big messes during the warm months. Nothing fancy for my one-year-old, just lots of things to dig, pour squish and scoop!



Shaving cream, squirt bottles, goop and goo ... the water hose is my friend. I'm amazed at how much time my kids can spend with a wash tub and lots of containers for pouring and floating. (And how they spontaneously flood my bathroom by trying this in the sink if I'm not watching!)

Here are a few other outdoor learning activities I've rounded up and want to try this summer with my preschoolers:
How about this combo of a ball toss and splatter art? My five-year-old would die to play ball and paint at the same time.




This Beginning Letter Sounds Sort Game from Hands On as We Grow is perfect for all my kids!





This digging for letters activity is ideal for my 3-year-old.



And finally, how can we resist phonics when we get to use sidewalk chalk and a watering can? No summer brain drain here!

What are you doing outside this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment