Monday, June 7, 2010

Hunting for houses ... searching for perfection?

The perfect house will make me perfect. Or at least that's the false impression I was under a few weeks ago as I feverishly searched classifieds and online postings, researched neighborhoods and scanned photos looking for classy furnishings, wood floors and stainless steel to catch my eye (all with a bargain price tag, right? Not gonna happen).
I don't think I would have taken it so far as to think the house would actually make me perfect, but I was certainly hoping it would make me more organized, efficient, happy, stylish, sociable and peaceful--pretty tall order for four walls and a roof, don't you think? I know it sounds ridiculous, but I pretty much was certain that all that would happen as soon as we unpacked boxes in a new place (and I implemented the perfect new organization system, of course.)
As the search went on, with little promise of finding anything close to perfect, the threat that I may need to make do in less than ideal circumstances came to mind (shock of shocks). It was then that I realized how much weight I was putting on my "new" house to bring about a sense of well-being and identity. I wanted to be one of the cool kids in the neighborhood.
The silliness with which I was engaging came to life in a blog post I read not long ago.  The article I stumbled upon was written by a gal who was always on the move. She described her realization that the perfect house wasn't going to be her fulfillment in life.
As obvious as that sounds, I realized that as much as I LOVE fresh starts, a new apartment, no matter how great--or not so great--will not make or break my life or significantly alter who I am.
It's so easy to think that with the right kind of storage space or the right kind of artistic flavor to a place, I will suddenly be more organized, have more free time, be a better wife and friend and mother,  and pretty much just get cooler in general. If your place says a lot about you, by golly, I want it to say good things!
While I haven't given up on striving to be the best I can be, I am reminded that I won't be unpacking a newer, better version of myself on moving day. So I pass my reminder on to you: It's great to strive to improve yourself, but be careful you don't set up an idol of sorts by living in the "if onlys."
In my current apartment, in the skin I happen to be in, with all my flaws and strengths, I can live by grace day by day, strive to grow, and forget the race for a better image or a quick fix that a certain material possession or life circumstance can provide.
Contentment ... what a challenging and rewarding lesson this can be! I pray I can be content in all circumstances and the deep joy that is my wellspring would flow to those around me ... whether those around me are lounging on brushed Italian leather couches or pulling up a mismatched straight back from the charity shop.
I'll let you know when we find the perfect house ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment