Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Sister Friends"

Growing up as the only girl in a family of three boys had it's advantages.

I learned to climb trees like a pro, but always had someone around to mow the grass so I didn't have to. I got to meet all my brothers' cute (older) friends, always had a great swing dance partner or someone strong to help me carry a heavy load, served as the resident expert on girls for all my brothers, and generally got to be the rose among the thorns (ha, in my own humble opinion ).

I respect them, they make me laugh and I think they each have their way of changing the world.

But they are manly men. Nothing sisterly about them. I love 'em, but that said, I want to write about the beauty of hanging out with the gals who have filled that sister gap.

 My mama is still one of my best friends and one of the most servant-hearted women I know. She was an essential part of my "women's team" for many years, which has now expanded to include five lovely sister-in-laws and a mother-in-law--and I welcome the company!

Sisters just have a unique way of relating to one another and encouraging one another through life's twists and turns. Girlfriends are that way, too. No one but Stephanie and I know why hanging upside down on Nomi's monkey bars and shouting "This is sooo weird!" was all that fun. But we do. We have history.

 No one but Becca, Connie and Julie know what in the world motivated us to move all our living room furniture outside by Union's fountain on a sunny day, or--well, that's the beauty of good friends ... I can't even write all our secrets and escapades here, but I bet they are giggling about them right now!

Talking to Keri and Julie always makes me want to praise, to pray, to be a better woman, but be content in who God has made me. And I could name more women who touch my heart like that.

My girl's prayer group in Denver filled my heart with true community and my life is definitely sorer for the lack of "pop-cultural references."  (That was a sisterly insider phrase, if ya didn't catch it.) They taught me true hospitality, zest for life in a new life stage and modeled consistency in the midst of all kinds of messes and victories. I miss them.

 I don't have anyone here in Oxford that I share very much history with (unless we're talking about all the amazing British history we're surrounded by here), but I have found a common bond in Christ with a handful of women at Wycliffe. We meet each Thursday to study a book of the Bible, have a cup of tea and share prayer requests.

I pray that one of these days, we might just smile over an inside joke or use the same catch phrase at the same time--or vacuum for each other because we're too pregnant to move.

But even if that doesn't happen anytime soon, I am grateful God has blessed me with like-minded women who love God, love their families and children, hunger for His Word and desire obedience. I believe company like that is worth keeping and I hope we sharpen one another.

So when people ask if I've found friends here ... yes, I have! We've exchanged some get-togethers with a few folks and made acquaintances and I'm excited about getting to know everyone more, but I know those deep relationships I treasure so much take time. This transition has grown my appreciation of those oldie-but-goodie friendships.

In the meantime, I am kissing the ground with thankfulness that God has placed me in a new opportunity to grow, provided potential friends and continues to bless me with the intimate friendships I've been part of pre-Oxford. So, I welcome the new, cherish the old and simply enjoy the now. Thank God for sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment